TikTok’s Integration into the Recruitment Industry
September, 21 2021
TikTok was the world’s most downloaded app in 2020. Since then, its prevalence within society has only grown. It has affected the music industry, food industry, fitness industry, and more. As TikTok continues to grow in popularity, creators are actively finding ways to enhance the platform’s utility and integrate it further into our lives.
Recently, this was achieved through the launch of “TikTok Resumes,” a pilot program designed to establish TikTok as a channel for recruitment and job discovery. Since many users were already using TikTok as a way to both give and find advice on things such as interviewing and resume writing, creators decided to build on this career-related angle.
TikTok partnered with select, sought-after companies such as Target and Chipotle, encouraging job seekers to apply for open positions via creative video resumes showcasing their skill sets and experiences. According to TikTok, over 800 videos were submitted during just the first 48 hours of the program launch.
While the initiative received abundant praise, with individuals stating that it allows applicants to display their personalities in ways a paper resume couldn’t, others are questioning the fairness of this job application method. For example, Bloomberg published an article raising concerns surrounding the rising popularity of visual resumes:
- Video resumes “open the door” to appearance-based discrimination due to the decreased anonymity of applicants.
- Low-income individuals with limited access to technology and older generations who aren’t as well-versed in technology are both at a disadvantage from creating these sorts of videos.
Contenders argue that the “playing field” in the job market has never been completely equal to begin with.
What do you think about video resumes being the potential future of job recruiting? Although the continuation of the “TikTok Resumes” program has yet to be determined, it is important that we stay on top of how technology is increasingly affecting our industries and our world.
- 5 Trends Digital Agencies Should Keep An Eye On In 2022
- Office of the President December 2021 Update
- Noisy Trumpet Recognized as a 2021 San Antonio Business Journal Fast Track Awards Honoree
- Noisy Trumpet Recognized By PRSA For Best Creative Tactics Campaign
- The New Face of Facebook and the Digital Era
Do You Want to Reach a Larger Audience?
We drive online and in-person traffic to San Antonio businesses every day.Let's Chat